Class of 1944 H.S.

Class of 1944 H.S.'s Website

Alphabetical Alumni

Peterson, Elizabeth

Elizabeth Peterson

Class of 1944. Elizabeth Peterson.

Pinegar, Glen Jolley

Pinegar, Glen Jolley
Provo, Utah US

Glen & Shirley Pinegar

Class of 1944. Glen Pinegar. His parents: James Emery Pinegar and Effie Jolley Pinegar. James and Effie Pinegar had five children, all BYH alumni: Glen Jolley Pinegar [BYH Class of 1944] (Shirley Mellor); James Pinegar [BYH Class of 1946](Colleen); Maxine Pinegar [BYH Class of 1948] Turley; Wanita Pinegar [BYH Class of 1950] Done; and Edward Jolley Pinegar [BYH Class of 1952] (Pat). ~ ~ ~ ~ HIS OBITUARY: Glen Jolley Pinegar passed away peacefully on November 20, 2007 in Provo, Utah. He was born May 30, 1926 in Provo, Utah to James Emery and Effie Jolley Pinegar. He married Shirley Mellor October 17, 1952 in the Manti Temple. Glen enjoyed playing the sax in his own band and in a U.S. Army band. He was a successful businessman in financial services. He actively served in the LDS Church as a missionary in South Africa, and in numerous other callings. He will be sadly missed by his wife Shirley, children Mark (Carol) Pinegar, Christine (Paul) Price, Jared (Stephanie) Pinegar, Mary Ann (Steve) Buchan, Holly Ruth (Keith) Lockhart, Rachel (Oliver) DeMille, 40 grandchildren, 6 1/2 great-grandchildren, and his siblings, James (Colleen) Pinegar, Maxine Turley, Wanita Done, and Ed (Pat) Pinegar. Glen had an unconquerable spirit. We will celebrate his life at services to be held on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 11:00 a.m. in the Alpine 4th Ward chapel, 910 S. High Bench Road, Alpine. Friends may call at the church on Friday, November 23 from 6-8:00 p.m. or Saturday, 10:00 a.m. Interment will be in the Provo City Cemetery. Condolences may be sent to [Provo Daily Herald, November 21, 2007.]

Powell, Ernest

Ernest Powell

Class of 1944. Ernest Powell.

Robertson, Alice Marian

Robertson, Alice Marian
Salt Lake City, Utah US

Alice and Keith Wilson

Class of 1944. Alice Robertson. ~ ~ ~ ~ HER OBITUARY: Alice Marian Robertson Wilson, 1926 ~ 2013. Alice Marian Robertson Wilson, born August 20, 1926 in Morgan, Utah to Leroy J. and Naomi N. Robertson, passed away April 8, 2013 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Marian grew up in Provo, where she attended Brigham Young University through her elementary [Brigham Young Laboratory Elementary School], secondary [Brigham Young Junior High and Brigham Young High School - Class of 1944] and college years, graduating from BYU in 1948 Summa Cum Laude and as BYU valedictorian. She pursued her graduate work at the University of Utah, earning an M.A. (1952), and two Ph.D. degrees (1960 and 1970). Apart from being with her family, Marian loved most of all to learn, especially languages and music. As a musician she appeared in her first piano recital at age eight, had a minor career as a pianist, but became best known as a 'cellist, primarily as a member of the Utah Symphony (1947-1962) where she was the assistant solo cellist from 1952 on. As a teenager she played in concerts throughout the Intermountain West, giving performances during WWII for the troops at Dugway and performing weekly programs at KSL Radio and KUED-TV. As a linguist, she began speaking French at age nine and soon went on to learn many other languages. (Some people have counted thirty-two languages, but she only vouched for "upwards of sixteen.") As an undergraduate student in 1946, she began a 28-year teaching career, first at BYU teaching French, then at the U of U, and finally at USU, as an associate professor. During these years, in addition to French she taught German, Italian, Ancient Greek, and Advanced Music Theory. A winner of numerous fellowships, she did important research in France and Egypt, and later lectured at major universities across the USA and in Europe. In the late 1970s she ultimately combined her love of music and languages by working on the Coptic Encyclopedia project as translator, editor, and music editor. With articles published in nine countries, she gained international recognition for her pioneering research in Coptic music, and in 1992 the Music Division at the Library of Congress recruited her as consultant in Coptic Music, a position she held until her death. A devout Mormon, she fulfilled various callings on the ward level, most recently as Gospel Doctrine leader. Marian was the happy wife of the late W. Keith Wilson, former Chief of Probation and Parole for the State of Utah, who predeceased her in 1994. She is survived by siblings Renee R. (Stephen) Whitesides, Karen R. Post, Jim (Bonita) Robertson, and by many beloved nieces and nephews. She loved her nieces and nephews (and grand-nieces and grand-nephews) dearly, and they all dearly loved her. They couldn't wait for a letter and/or an annual birthday card from "Aunt Marian." A memorial service will be held on Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 12:00 Noon at Larkin Mortuary, 260 East South Temple. There will be a visitation of family and friends at 11:00, prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, please donate to the Leroy J. Robertson Foundation, Music Department, University of Utah. Marian thought the following items were too cumbersome for an obituary, but we, her siblings, think they should be included. (1) From junior high school onward she consistently maintained a straight "A" record. (2)She was the very first student from a Utah school (U of U) to win a Fulbright Scholarship (1950-1951) (3)She corresponded in French for 12 years with poet-playwright, Jean Cocteau, until his death in 1963 which is how she "honed" her French writing skills. (4)She was a performing student in the Casal's Master Classes at UC Berkeley from 1960-1962 (5)Very ecumenical, she loved reading the scriptures from her earliest years. As a teenager she began reading the New Testament in the original Greek; later memorized and chanted the entire Koran in Arabic; analyzed and translated Coptic liturgies. [Deseret News, Monday, April 9 to Tuesday, April 10, 2013]

Robertson, Marion

Marion Robertson

Class of 1944. Marion Robertson. [Female]

Robertson, Norma

Norma Robertson

Class of 1944. Norma Robertson. Norma's estimated birth year was 1927, and she was born in Utah. In the 1940 Census, Norma, age 13, and her family were living in Honolulu, Hawaii. Her adoptive parents were Hilton A. Robertson and Hazel M. Robertson. Her sister, Carolyn Robertson, four years younger, graduated from Brigham Young High School in 1949. On the 1930 Census, Norma Robertson, age 3, is listed as their adopted daughter. ~ ~ ~ ~ PART OF THE ROBERTSON FAMILY STORY: BY Muriel Jenkins Heal, “‘We Will Go’: The Robertson Response,” Ensign, Apr 1982, 32. Answering the first of many calls to serve peoples of the Far East in missionary service, Hilton A. Robertson and his wife Hazel first set foot on Japanese soil in June of 1921. Their love for the Oriental people would grow and deepen over a lifetime of sharing the gospel in Japan, China, Hawaii, and the United States. Five times a mission president, Brother Robertson, now 90, would likely be delighted to serve again if age and health permitted. Young Brother Hilton was reared on a twenty-acre sugarbeet farm in Springville, Utah. His father, Alexander, came as a seventeen-year-old convert from Scotland with his five brothers and widowed mother to Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1850, selling all their belongings at auction in order to make a fresh start among the Saints in America. “My father only gave me one sermon,” he reflected as I sat across from him. “He said to me, ‘Get your name on the tithing records of the Church and keep it there.’ My mother taught me faith and morality. I remember how faithful she was in serving the people as midwife at no charge. She gave her time to friends and strangers alike. This is what I saw … the sermons that I received from mother and father.” Elder Robertson was seated in his home surrounded by mementos of the Orient. A portrait of his wife-missionary companion, Hazel, who died in 1976 hung on the wall above his chair. “She was mine, I knew from the beginning.” He motioned toward the portrait. “Hazel and I wouldn’t have married so soon [both were in their early twenties] but her parents were moving to Idaho, and it was get her then, or. … We were married in 1912 in the Salt Lake Temple. Afterward we made our home in Springville until we went to Japan. “I had a patriarchal blessing in 1920. The patriarch said, ‘You will travel much for the gospel’s sake. You will travel by land and by sea.’ We figured then that I would get a call to go on a mission. “Of course, we didn’t have any idea that my wife would be going, but we had looked forward to and made preparations for my mission. When the call came to us both, we had to sell our home. I had saved the money to buy the house when we were married, and paid cash. With two of us going it wouldn’t take long to use up that $2,000. So I said, ‘We’ll go, and afterward the Lord will have to provide.’ ” The Japanese Mission had been opened up in 1901 by Elder Heber J. Grant and three missionaries. The language was the greatest barrier, and it usually took several years to become effective as a missionary; thus a mission term in Japan usually lasted five years. “The hardest thing I ever had to do was to tell my father goodbye, knowing I would probably not see him again,” President Robertson recalled. His father was ninety years old when they left. Hazel and Hilton Robertson were the first of several couples from Utah to be called to serve under President Lloyd O. Ivie in Japan at that time. They entered the harbor of Tokyo on the great ship Empress of Russia on 6 June 1921. “When we reached Japan, it was like moving into a new world. We could see the rickshas lined up on shore like baby buggies. There were oxcarts loaded heavily with merchandise to ship out; bicycles of all types, and men pulling heavy loads. In contrast were the electric lines overhead, airplanes above, and the great ships in the harbor. “The missionaries met us and guided us to the mission home, a very modest place. It was a two-story building, and meetings were held on the lower floor. Japanese customs were carried out in the mission home, except there were beds.” At that time there were conferences (branches) at Kofu, Tokyo, Osaka, Sendai, Sapporo, and one soon to be opened at Onomichi. Sunday School and sacrament meeting were held on Sunday morning, with “Saints’ meeting,” or “preaching meeting,” held in the evening. Street meetings were held frequently. Elder Robertson noted in his diary one week after arrival: “At a street meeting I distributed three hundred tracts introducing the work, and sold eighteen Bibles.” After a month in Tokyo, they were sent to Sapporo where they were told the streets of the city had been planned after the Salt Lake City system. There the climate was much like that of Utah, with vegetables and fruits like those found at home. Sunday School was well attended, with close to fifty people present most of the time. On Elder Robertson’s first tracting experience in Sapporo he delivered forty-four tracts, using this speech in Japanese: “I missionary, member of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in this district. Small book, free, I give to you. Please read it. I have been a trouble to you. Excuse me, good-bye.” He held the written speech in his hat the first few times for referral. Should anyone question him he would simply take leave, being unable to answer. After two months in Sapporo, the Robertsons were called to Osaka where they spent a year and a half and enjoyed an exceptional spirit of harmony and love among the people. There they taught classes on the life of Christ and Joseph Smith and on the New Testament and the Book of Mormon. Elder Robertson also taught English at Higashi Shoyo Gakko (East Side High School). It was an excellent opportunity for daily gospel discussions with thirty other teachers, students, and sometimes parents. On 1 September 1923 Elder Robertson and Elder Elwood Christensen had stopped at noon for an ice cream treat in the city of Osaka, when they felt the first jolt of the catastrophic earthquake that leveled Tokyo, Yokohama, and thirteen surrounding villages, leaving two million people huddled homeless on the outskirts of the smoldering ruins. In Osaka there was little damage, but because of crippled communications there was no word from the Tokyo district. After a few days of waiting, Elder Robertson took a train to Tokyo. He was required to take enough food for a week or he would not have been allowed to make the trip. After a long journey with many transfers he found the western suburb mission home of Yodobashi with everything intact and all Saints and missionaries unharmed. Less than two months later Elder Robertson received a letter appointing him to succeed Lloyd O. Ivie as president of the Japan Mission. After serving only a little more than two years in another country with a still-rudimentary knowledge of a strange language, to take over as mission president was a most humbling challenge. In his daily journal Elder Robertson wrote: “I feel keenly such responsibility and only through the help of my Father in Heaven could I be of any service in this great calling. I know that the Lord will make me equal to this calling if I devote myself to it in all sincerity and in humility, do my part. This I intend to do.” The next year, 1924, was a time of political unrest. Missionaries felt Japan’s growing hostility toward Americans, caused by new U.S. legislation prohibiting Japanese immigration. Church authorities soon closed the mission upon President Robertson’s recommendation. But he and Hazel loved the Japanese people and were confident that the groundwork laid in the mission’s first twenty-three years would not be wasted. The couple returned to Utah and became busily involved in community and church activities. They were blessed with children—two daughters, Norma and Carolyn. Brother Robertson served as a bishop, as a member of a stake presidency, and as a county commissioner for two terms. Then, in November 1936, a call came for the Robertsons to reopen the Japanese Mission with headquarters in Honolulu. This time there were not only a home and furnishings to sell, but an insurance business—and two small girls to take out of school. Brother Robertson recorded in his diary upon receiving the call: “I have felt that there were others far more qualified than I to take charge of the work, but there is only one thing to do, and that is to accept. “Our parents [his mother and Hazel’s mother and father] are old and even though we are privileged to see them again, we will be separated from them during years we would love to be with them and help in a measure to repay them for the many sacrifices they have made to make our lives more complete and happy. Our parting with them will be our hardest task.” With the cooperation of President Francis Bailey, president of the Hawaiian Mission, separate headquarters were set up, and in a few months the two missions were functioning independently. A handful of Church members were found among the 150,000 Japanese in Hawaii, and at the first meeting of the Japanese Mission held under the direction of President Robertson, twenty Japanese members were in attendance. In April 1939, after much preparation with letters from U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull, Utah state senators, and others, President Robertson was sent to Japan to assure the Saints that the General Authorities were interested in their welfare and that the time would come when missionaries would again labor in their land. In the month spent there, he visited many members in their homes. (Organized meetings were not allowed by the Imperial government.) There were ordinances to be performed, including many baptisms requested for children and relatives. The president spent many hours looking for appropriate white clothing to be used in performing the first baptism, and finally used his newly laundered white pajamas. One sister was able to take the sacrament for the first time in twenty-one years. Just before President Robertson’s return to Hawaii, a worthy priest was ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood, making a pair of elders who could carry on the ordinances of the priesthood. “It was hard to hide the tears at parting, but as I visited with the different Saints,” he recalled, “I could see that the cleanliness of their thought and living had had a decided effect upon their entire physical makeup. There was a look of contentment and satisfaction written upon each face.” It was this trip to Japan in 1939 that made it possible for the Church to enter Japan after World War II. President Robertson said that had the Church not sent missionaries to keep in touch with members at that time, the U.S. Occupational Forces would not have permitted missionary work to resume in 1948 under the direction of President Edward L. Clissold. The Robertsons returned to Provo, Utah, after three and one-half years in Hawaii, leaving a well-established mission home, fifty missionaries, and two fully-organized branches of Japanese members. Life in Utah began again with a new business in real estate and insurance and an opportunity to serve a second time as a bishop. Then in February 1949 they received a call to come to Salt Lake City. “I met Brother David O. McKay in his office at the appointed hour. We talked about the Orient and more especially about the Chinese,” related President Robertson, “and whom I thought would be the most likely person in the Church to send to China. I gave him four names. He said ‘Brother Robertson, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve have considered the feasibility of opening the Chinese Mission after much sincere and thoughtful prayer, and they were unanimous in feeling that you should be sent to open that mission. They feel that you know more about the Oriental people than any other man in the Church.’ ” In July they arrived in Hong Kong with Brother and Sister Henry Aki of Honolulu. Brother Aki was a faithful Chinese member of the Church chosen to serve as first counselor. On July 14 Elder Matthew Cowley officially opened the mission, on top of a mountain they called the Peak. In attendance were Elder and Sister Cowley, President and Sister Robertson and daughter Carolyn, and Elder and Sister Henry Aki. The challenge of learning a difficult language, establishing a mission home, and preparing the way for missionaries was again upon them. By the next February they greeted their first missionaries, Elder William Paalani from Honolulu and Herald Grant Heaton from Salt Lake City. A poignant note written by one of the first Chinese investigators reflected the sincerity of those first few students of English and gospel principles: “I glad learn English from you, and more glad listen the truth of Christian in your speech.” The work in Hong Kong progressed slowly and with even more difficulty as communist activity increased, and with the outbreak of the Korean War. In May 1951 the Robertsons left Hong Kong on a fourth assignment to open a Chinese Mission headquarters in Chinatown, San Francisco. Brother and Sister Robertson felt that China had been their greatest challenge. He told President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., and President McKay, who were both horsemen, this story to illustrate: “A woman went to the stables and asked for a horse but warned the stable boy she had never ridden a horse. The boy answered: ‘Oh, don’t let that worry you; I have a horse that’s never been ridden, and you two can work it out together.’ ” The Robertsons had had no friends, no openings, no literature of any kind, and didn’t speak the language. But they had worked it out “together.” After two years the Chinatown mission was transferred to the San Francisco Stake Mission, and in January 1953 the Robertsons headed home to Utah to await a forthcoming assignment. When it came six months later, the call sent them once more to their beloved Japan. On 10 September 1953 President David O. McKay set them apart to preside over the Japanese and Chinese Missions including the Philippine Islands, Korea, Guam, and Okinawa, with headquarters in Tokyo. At that time, President McKay told him: “You have rendered service in the past that will reverberate in the hearts of men and women with whom you have come in contact, for years and probably ages to come. Your service, and that of your dear wife, will continue to go from soul to soul resulting in the conversion, comfort, and peace of many souls. You have demonstrated to the Lord your willingness to lose yourselves in the service of the Master, and you are entitled to the blessings implied in the Savior’s remarks: ‘He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.’ ” The next three years were truly a time of fulfillment. World War II had left its mark upon the Japanese people and the world. There was a general turning toward religion, a seeking for truth. U.S. servicemen and their families in the Far East area were doing a great missionary service on their own, supporting eighteen full-time Japanese missionaries in Japan and the islands of the area. President Robertson was given travel priority rating of Brigadier General for ease in traveling to servicemen’s conferences and to maintain contact with the far areas of the mission. The Church began to grow, for the field was ready for the harvest. Sister Emma Rae McKay asked President Robertson immediately after one of their many calls to serve, “What do you think about all these calls you get to go?” “Oh, we don’t think,” came the response. “The call comes, we just say ‘Okay!’ and we go.” The answer was typical of the Robertsons. Source.

Rollins, Dorthella

Rollins, Dorthella
Provo, Utah US

Dorthella and Robert Price

Class of 1944. Dorthella Rollins Price. ~ ~ ~ ~ HER OBITUARY: Dorthella Rollins Price passed away July 1, 2008. Dorthella was born September 27, 1926 to John Lafayette and Minta Rollins in Fairview, Utah. She married Robert Price on April 16, 1947 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Dorthella graduated from Brigham Young High School in 1944. She worked for the Utah State Hospital for 22 years as a Psych Tech Supervisor. She received the State Employee of the Year Award. She was a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and Foster Grandparents. She was active in the LDS Church where she was a Provo Temple Worker. Dorthella was preceded in death by her husband Robert, on September 3, 2007. She is survived by her children, Paula (Arthur) Noon, John (Louise) Price, Connie (Brent) Foster and Eugene Vincent (JanEtta) Price, 18 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held on Monday, July 7, at 11:00 am in the Bonneville 13th Ward, 1498 East 800 South, Provo, UT. Family and friends may call on Sunday evening, from 6 until 8 pm at the Walker Family Mortuary, 85 East 300 South, Provo, or Monday from 10 until 10:45 am prior to the services. Interment, Fairview Cemetery. Condolences may be sent to the family at [Provo Daily Herald, Sunday, July 6, 2008.]

Sessions, Sterling
1745 29th Street %237
Ogden, Utah 84403 US

Sterling Sessions

Class of 1944. Sterling Sessions. @2001

Sterneckert, Maurine

Sterneckert, Maurine
Salt Lake City, Utah US

Maurine Child

Class of 1944. Maurine Sterneckert. Maurine Sterneckert was born on March 5, 1926 in Provo, Utah. Her parents were Albert Sterneckert and Nellie Stone Grange Sterneckert. Maurine Sterneckert married _____ Child. Maurine S. Child died on May 15, 1954 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Interment, Provo City Cemetery.

Strong, Betty Rae

Betty Strong

Class of 1944. Betty Rae Strong.

Taylor, Afton
3455 Hillcrest St.
Redding, California 96001-3421 US

Afton Blurton
  • Work: (530) 241-0883

Class of 1944. Afton Taylor. Her parents: Argle Lee Taylor and Hannah V. Sackett Taylor. She married _____ Blurton. [Blurton is spelled correctly.] [?Married Charles L. Blurton, born March 17, 1920, and died January 23, 200l, Redding, California?]. Email updated. @2010

Weeter, Florence Kathleen

Weeter, Florence Kathleen
Provo, Utah US

Florence & Blaine Snyder

Class of 1944. Florence Kathleen Weeter. Married Blaine Elvin Snyder. Her parents: Glenn Porter Weeter, born 19 March 1887 Sheridan Co., Nebraska, and Laura Marenda Jacobson Weeter. ~ ~ ~ ~ HER OBITUARY: Florence Kathleen Weeter Snyder, 79, of Provo passed away peacefully on Thursday, December 8, 2005 at her home. She was born in the same home to the late Glenn Porter and Laura Marenda Jacobson Weeter on November 11, 1926. She attended elementary through high school at B.Y. High in Provo. During her young adult years, she worked for her father at the Riverside Motel in Provo. She married Blaine Elvin Snyder on June 17, 1947 in Provo, Utah and they were later happily sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on June 17, 1953 for time and all eternity. Florence had a deep love for music from singing to playing the piano and organ. She enjoyed singing with the Singing Mother in the Provo Tabernacle for several years. She also sang solos in a Summer Cantata. She shared this talent in several of her LDS Church callings. She is survived by: her husband, Blaine; three sons, Elvin (Linda, deceased), Everett (Kathy), Earl (Claudine), all from Provo; two daughters, Mary Ford, Lehi, Melody Staples (Kay), Richfield; twenty grandchildren; twenty-three great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild. She was preceded in death by her parents; sister, Raisa Veone Weeter Walker; brother, Warren Glenn Weeter [BYH Class of 1936?]; and grandsons, Garren Loebel and Grant Loebel. Funeral services were held on Monday, December 12, 2005 in Provo, Utah. Interment, Provo City Cemetery. [Provo Daily Herald, December 10, 2005.] ~ ~ ~ ~ HER HUSBAND'S OBITUARY: Blaine E. Snyder, son of the late Elvin and Millie Rebecca Peters Snyder. He was born July 23, 1921 in Vineyard, Utah. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Thelma Snyder Christensen, Mary Snyder Thomas Losee, Lucille Snyder Howe and Phyllis Snyder Crawley. He married Florence Kathleen Weeter [BYH Class of 1944] on June 17, 1947 in Provo, Utah and later solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple on June 17, 1953. He spent 9 years at Air Way Motor Coach, 3 years at Greyhound, 16 years at P.I.E. (Pacific Intermountain Express) as a driver, and 25 years with the LDS Church as a Mechanical Specialist. He spent 55 years in the workforce, retiring at the age of 73. He was a member of the LDS Church in the office of a High Priest. He served 34 1/2 years as a Membership Clerk. He is survived by 3 sons, 2 daughters, Blaine Elvin Snyder, Jr. of Provo, Mary Snyder Loebel Ford of Lehi, Mrs. Kay (Melody) Staples of Richfield, Jacob Everett (Kathy Cannon) Snyder of Provo, and Joseph Earl (Claudine Jones) Snyder of Provo. He is also survived by 19 grandchildren, 21 great- grandchildren, and 2 great- great- grandchildren. Funeral services were held Monday, March 19, 2007 at the Grandview 1st Ward Church in Provo. Interment, Provo City Cemetery. [Provo Daily Herald, March 17, 2007.]

Winter, Joyce

Joyce Winter

Class of 1944. Joyce Winter.

Previous Page 1 2 3