Henry Aldous Dixon '09
& Lucile Knowlden Dixon '12

Banker, Church & Academic Leader,
President, Weber College (1919 to 1920, & 1937 to 1953) President, Utah State University (1953 to 1954)
U.S. Congressman (1955 to 1961)

Pres. H. Aldous Dixon & Lucile Dixon at USU, 1953
H. Aldous Dixon & Lucile Dixon at USU, 1953

Brigham Young High School
Classes of 1909 & 1912

Henry Aldous Dixon, BYH Class of 1909
Henry Aldous Dixon, Family & Friends in 1914

Standing in front of the newly completed Beehive Fountain on the Lower Campus, Henry Aldous Dixon and his family and friends celebrate his graduation from BYU in 1914.

Henry Aldous Dixon was born on June 29, 1890 in Provo, Utah. His parents were John De Grey Dixon and Sarah Ann Lewis Dixon. He attended public schools in Provo until high school. He graduated from Provo's Brigham Young High School in the Class of 1909, and was generally known as "Aldous."

Dixon then earned a bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University in 1914, a masters from the University of Chicago in 1917, and a doctorate from the University of Southern California in 1937. He also attended Stanford University.

H. Aldous Dixon married Lucile Knowlden. Lucile Knowlden was born on December 9, 1891 in Provo, Utah. Her parents were Robert Edwin Knowlden and Mable Twelves Knowlden.

Lucile grew up in Provo, attended the Maeser Elementary School, and graduated from Brigham Young High School, Class of 1912. She received her Normal Degree from Brigham Young University.

She taught for two years at the Timpanogos Elementary School in Provo before her marriage. Lucille married Henry Aldous Dixon on June 2, 1915 in Salt Lake City. The Dixons had four daughters and two sons.

H. Aldous Dixon was a member of the Weber Normal College faculty in Ogden, Utah, from 1914-1918. Dixon served as President of Weber College in 1919 and 1920, and again from 1937 to 1953. During his first year as President he was influential in planning a financial drive for funds to erect a new Weber College gymnasium.

During his second term as President of Weber College, Dr. Dixon became recognized nationally as a top authority in the field of vocational education. He developed the technical education program at Weber. The campus on Harrison in Ogden was purchased and the first buildings constructed under his leadership. He guided the school in a period of rapid growth immediately following World War II.

Dixon served as Superintendent of Provo City Schools from 1920 to 1924. In 1924 that he was invited to succeed his father as Manager and Vice President of Farmers & Merchants Bank of Provo, where he served from 1924 to 1932. Dixon again served as Superintendent of Provo City Schools from 1932 to 1937.

He was a member of the Board of Directors, Salt Lake Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco from 1945 to 1951. He served as member of President's Commission on Higher Education from 1946 to 1948. He was appointed Director, Association of Junior Colleges, from 1950 to 1954.

H. A. Dixon portrait by Everett Thorpe

H. Aldous Dixon, President, USU

Dixon served as President of Utah State University at Logan from 1953 to 1954.

He left the presidency of USU after being drafted by the the Republican state central committee in an eleventh-hour bid to retain the congressional seat of Representative Douglas R. Stringfellow. This candidate dropped out of the race after admitting his fabled wartime experiences were a hoax.

"At first, when my husband was offered the Republican nomination," according to Mrs. Dixon, "we didn't want to accept. But after discussing it with our family, we felt that perhaps we were needed for service. It was the most vital decision of our lives -- and the quickest."

"One of the key factors that prompted our decision," she added, "was our belief that President Eisenhower needs men of his own party to help him with his programs. That, we feel, will accomplish more than if the men in Congress are working at cross purposes."

Congressman H. Aldous Dixon

U. S. Congressman H. Aldous Dixon

Dixon was elected U.S. Representative to the Eighty-fourth, Eighty-fifth, and Eighty-fifth Congresses -- January 3, 1955 through January 3, 1961. He did not seek renomination in 1960. The Dixons lived in Washington, D.C. for six years before returning to live in Utah.

In the House of Representatives, Congressman Dixon continued to have an impact on Utah institutions of higher education. For example, in 1956 he introduced H.R. 10663, a bill which proposed that the Secretary of Agriculture be: "...authorized and directed to establish, maintain, and operate at such location as he deems desirable [Utah State University] a regional water laboratory for the purpose of conducting research and study with respect to the physical laws, principles, and dominant variables affecting the source, supply and use of water...." This was followed by other legislation that established the Utah Water Research Laboratory at USU, which has truly benefited the western U.S. and the world in the most effective use of this most precious resource.

Dixon served as an instructor at Brigham Young University until 1965. He was the author of three publications:
  • The Administration of State Permanent School Funds: as illustrated by a study of the management of the Utah endowment (1936)
  • The Organization and Development of Terminal Curricula in the Junior College (1943)
  • Six Years in Congress: 1955-1960 (1961)

    Lucile and Aldous Dixon were active in the LDS Church. Dr. Dixon served a mission, was Bishop of the Provo Third Ward for six years, and a member of the General Sunday School Board for eleven years. He was a member-at-large of the National Boy Scout Council, and Weber County War Bond Chairman for several years. He was a member of the Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters; Phi Delta Cappa; Phi Kappa Phi; Ogden and Logan Rotary Clubs; and Provo Kiwanis Club.

    Lucile was President and a member of the Board of Directors for the Children's Aid Society, a member of the Acacia Club, and of the Children's Hour Club.

    She served as President of Weber College Faculty Women and was a charter member of the Nelke Reading Club of Provo. Lucile loved gardening, growing plants indoors and out. She especially enjoyed African violets and while she lived on the USU campus the university horticulture group regularly shared her fresh flowers.

    In gathering information for her book on the USU President's house, Alice Chase learned from Mrs. Dixon that her "heart sank at the prospect of moving into" the president's home in Logan. The Dixons had at that time a new house in Ogden.

    The president's house had reportedly been neglected and the trustees decided to "recondition" the house rather than build a new facility.

    Despite her initial impressions, Lucile told Alice that "living there proved to be a delightful experience."

    H. Aldous Dixon died on January 22, 1967, in Ogden. Lucile died on December 13, 1986 in Ogden. She was 95 years old. Their interment, Washington Heights Memorial Park, Ogden, Utah.

  • Dixon and a string of fresh-caught fish

    Presidents & BYH

    BYH Biographies